DOWNLOAD PROPERTY INVENTORY LIST HERE
DOWNLOAD CRIMINAL ACTIVITY AWARENESS INFORMATION
Home Burglaries are the number 1 property crime in Lafayette County.
There are some things that you can do to help prevent this criminal activity and to help us catch and arrest perpetrators of this crime.
- Lock doors and windows using good hardware and deep set dead bolts.
- Let your neighbors know when you are going to be away, who will be there, and who should not.
- Record serial numbers for TV’s, guns, VCR’s, cameras, computers, or anything else of value and store them in a safe place.
- Taking photos or videos of your possessions with the serial numbers is better yet. This is especially true for jewelry and other valuable items that do not have serial numbers. Keep the photos or video in your car or any other location away from your house. In case of a burglary, or even a fire, you will have the evidence you need for us and your insurance company.
- Form a Neighborhood Watch – several of the rural areas in our County have done just that. They have formed groups of neighbors that watch out for one another. When crime hits in these areas, the Sheriff’s Office notifies these groups and they notify their neighbors. The groups also watch for suspicious activity and report it to the Sheriff’s Office. These groups have helped us catch burglars and other criminals.
- Report suspicious activity or vehicles in your area. Vehicle descriptions, people descriptions and license plate information provides us with the tools we need to investigate this type of activity.
- Just about everyone has a cell phone with the ability to take photos and video. If you see something or someone that seems suspicious to you in your neighborhood, take a photo or some video.
- Go to: www.nnw.org for more information on Neighborhood Watch Groups.
Citizens and communities must be involved in order for law enforcement to be effective. It takes all of us working together!